The Occupational Therapy Doctoral (OTD) Capstone Experience exemption registration requirements will be published to Section 468.225(1)(e), Florida Statutes, Exemptions. Prior to publication, these requirements may be viewed here. The basic requirements to register to benefit from this exemption to licensure is as follows:
- Must be a person planning to fulfill an OTD Capstone Experience that involves clinical practice or projects.
- Must register with the Department of Health before commencing the capstone experience. Applicants are encouraged to apply at least 60 days prior to the start date of the capstone experience.
- Consult with your college or university’s OTD program regarding its requirements and processes to qualify for an OTD Capstone Experience.
- Once your OTD program has established the following, you may submit your exemption registration application to the Department of Health (Department): 1) Sponsoring Institution & Address of Sponsoring Institution; 2) Name of Capstone Experience Site & Site Address(es); 3) Capstone Coordinator; 4) Site Mentor; 5) Faculty Mentor; 6) Focus Area(s); and 7) Start & Ending Dates for the Capstone Experience.
- Once the application is received by the Department, an application specialist with the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy (Board Office) will be assigned to review, process and communicate with you regarding your application status.
- Once your application is determined to meet all requirements, you will receive an official letter that contains your registration number. Your registration will expire upon the conclusion of your capstone experience, or, one year after issuance of your registration, whichever occurs first in time. You should keep your registration letter on file on the site(s) where you are completing your capstone experience. Your registration will also be viewable on the Department’s public license verification site.
- Once registered, you will be responsible for updating the Board Office at email@example.com of any changes in the following: Sponsoring Institution & Address of Sponsoring Institution; 2) Name of Capstone Experience Site & Site Address(es); 3) Capstone Coordinator; 4) Site Mentor; 5) Faculty Mentor; 6) Focus Area(s); and/or 7) Start and/or Ending Dates for the Capstone Experience.
No fees are required for this registration process.
Florida Administrative Code
Rules: Chapter 64B11: Board of Occupational Therapy, Florida Administrative Code
Related Regulations – Pending Final Publication
- Rule 64B-9.009, Florida Administrative Code, Registration for Occupational Therapy Doctoral Capstone Experience Exemption
(Pending Final Publication in Florida Administrative Codes)
- 22-030, Laws of Florida
(Pending Final Publication in Florida Statutes)